Sunday, March 19, 2006

Windows XP Hibernation Feature


Its amazing, Windows XP has been out for about 5 years now and people still didn't know that XP can hibernate. Hibernation is when the information in the memory, like all the windows on your taskbar and unsaved stuff you have open gets saved to a hibernation file on the hard drive. Then you can shut down your computer and restart and have all your stuff open just as they were. Its kind of like stand by except you can cut the power off, unplug your computer, whatever and everything will remain in tact. Plus even if all your stuff is closed you can hibernate the computer for a faster boot up.

Hibernating is easy just click start then shutdown. Then hold down your shift key. The icon that is normally standby no becomes Hibernate. Now click it.

7 Comments:

At Sunday, March 19, 2006 9:57:00 PM, Blogger RandyC said...

I've tried this feature but then it always, I mean always, crashed my PC with a blue screen! Could you suggest a troubleshoot method?

Thanks!

 
At Monday, March 20, 2006 2:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been aware of this ever since I started using this computer(with WinXp). It's shocking that most people don't actually know about it.

 
At Monday, March 20, 2006 2:34:00 AM, Blogger Malachy said...

My computer is very slow at startup, mainly due to a program called "Netmatters Connection Manager". I have no need for this program since we got broadband. Unfortunatly, it has no uninstaller. Can you help?

PS
You don't have to answer...

 
At Monday, March 20, 2006 2:42:00 PM, Blogger Victoria said...

Wow, thank you! I am one of them ignorant people who have no idea that feature exists. But now I do! And I shall use it.

 
At Monday, March 20, 2006 3:25:00 PM, Blogger RMT CTL said...

This hibernate feature only works if your hardware supports it. On my computer, if I select the hibernate option, it hibernates all right, but when I reboot the machine, it crashes and needs to be completely shut down.

 
At Tuesday, March 21, 2006 8:15:00 AM, Blogger Dad/Rob said...

yadayadayada

 
At Thursday, September 06, 2007 5:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew this future starting from its birthday. But what i found is that it creates some clumsiness. For this reason I don't recommend it for ordinary users. If you have some jobs to do here and there , for example, in your laptop, it helps lot. It is better to start working from "clear" shut down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home